1. Novak Djokovic wins Australian Open 2019 men’s title
- Serbian professional tennis player Novak Djokovic (world No.1) defeated Rafael Nadal to win his 7th Australian Open Men’s Singles title at Melbourne.
- He defeated Nadal 6-3, 6-2, 6-3 in a largely one-sided match.
- The 2019 Australian Open (107th edition) was a Grand Slam tennis tournament that took place at Melbourne Park (Australia) from 14th to 27th January 2019.
List of winners of Australian Open 2019:
|1||Men’s Singles||Novak Djokovic (Serbia)||Rafael Nadal (Spain)|
|2||Women’s Singles||Naomi Osaka (Japan)||Petra Kvitova (Czech Republic)|
|3||Men’s Doubles||Pierre-Hugues Herbert (France) & Nicolas Mahut (France)||Henri Kontinen (Finland) & John Peers (Australia)|
|4||Women’s Doubles||Samantha Stosur (Australia) & Zhang Shuai (China)||Tímea Babos (Hungary) & Kristina Mladenovic (France)|
|5||Mixed Doubles||Barbora Krejcikova (Czech Republic) & Rajeev Ram (United States)||Astra Sharma (Australia) & John-Patrick Smith (Australia)|
2. Naomi Osaka wins Australian Open Grand Slam Singles title 2019
- Japan’s Naomi Osaka has won her maiden Australian Open Grand Slam Singles title 2019 at Melbourne, Australia.
- In the Final, Osaka defeated Czech Petra Kvitova, 7-6, 5-7, 6-4 to become the first Asian player to achieve the world number one ranking.
- Now, Osaka has become the youngest number one since Caroline Wozniacki in 2010.
3. Saina Nehwal wins first Indonesia Masters women’s title
- Ace shuttler Saina Nehwal (India) has won the Indonesia Masters women’s singles title after Carolina Marin (Spain) limped out of the final due to a leg injury.
- Marin was leading 10-4 in the first game when she developed an injury in the knee.
- Anders Antonsen (Denmark) has won his first ever Indonesia Masters after defeating world number one Kento Momota (Japan) to claim the 2019 Indonesia Masters title.
- The DAIHATSU Indonesia Masters 2019 is a badminton tournament that takes place at the Istora Gelora Bung Karno in Indonesia and has a total purse of USD 350,000.
4. Kartik Sharma wins New South Wales men’s Amateur Golf Championship
- India’s Kartik Sharma has won the New South Wales men’s Amateur Golf Championship in Australia.
- Kartik (from Gurgaon) win over Australia’s Nathan Barberie in the scheduled 36-hole final to emerge as champion.
- He had been selected to represent Indian Golf Union for three events in Australia.
- Earlier, Kartik had won the Indian golf union western India amateur golf championship 2018.