1. 2nd edition of Khelo India Youth Games begins in Pune
- Today, Union Minister for sports Col. Rajyavardhan Rathore has inaugurated the 2nd edition of ‘Khelo India Youth Games’ in Pune, Maharashtra (till 20th Jan 2019).
- More than 9000 players from different states are participating in 18 different games at Khelo India Youth Games.
- Around 14,000 persons, including 9,000 sportspersons and 4,000 managers, will be coming for the Games.
- The hockey tournament for boys has already started in Mumbai from Monday.
- Haryana (102 medals- 38 golds, 26 silvers and 38 bronzes) was the top team in 2018, followed by Maharashtra (111 medals – 36 golds) and Delhi (94 medals – 25 golds).
2. BCCI announces cash awards for triumphant Team India members
- The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has announced cash awards of Rs 15 lakh per match for each of the playing eleven that featured in India’s maiden Test Cricket series win on Australian soil.
- BCCI also announced cash awards of seven and a half lakh rupees for all the reserve players, as well as the members of the support staff.
- The coaches will be awarded Rs 25 lakh each.
3. Lok Sabha passes Constitution 124th Amendment Bill, 2019
- The Lok Sabha has passed the Constitution 124th (Amendment) Bill, 2019 to provide 10% reservation to economically backward sections (EWS) in the General category.
- The bill facilitates reservation for EWS in direct recruitments and admission in higher educational institutions.
- This reservation will be given without tampering the existing quotas for SC, ST and OBCs.
4. Exhibitor of the Year Award for DRDO at 106th Indian Science Congress
- The DRDO (Defence Research and Development Organisation) pavilion received ‘Exhibitor of the Year Award’ at 106th Indian Science Congress held in Punjab.
- On 03rd January 2019,’DRDO Pavillion’ was inaugurated by Shri VP Singh Badnore (Governor of Punjab)and Dr Harsh Vardhan (Union Science and Technology Minister).
- They took a keen interest in DRDO products and technologies displayed.
5. Polavaram enters Guinness Book of Records
- The ‘Polavaram project’ in Andhra Pradesh has entered the Guinness Book of World by pouring 32,100 cubic metres of concrete in 24 hours.
- The project beat the existing record of 21,580 cubic metres, achieved by Abdul Wahed Bin Shabib, RALS Contracting LLC and Alfa Eng. Consultant (all UAE), in Dubai (in 2017).
- Polavaram irrigation project is a multipurpose terminal reservoir, envisaged to cater to the irrigation needs.
- The representatives of Guinness Book of World Record witnessed the entire event using drone cameras.
6. West Bengal govt extends the retirement age of college teachers
- West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee has announced to extend the retirement age of College-university professors from 62 to 65 years and Vice-Chancellors from 65 to 70 years.
- The move was aimed to utilise their services for a longer period.
- The West Bengal government has also taken the decision to raise the retirement age of Vice-Chancellors from 65 to 70 years.
7. Govt hikes ad rates for print media by 25%
- The Ministry of information and broadcasting has announced a 25% hike in existing advertisement rates for print media with immediate effect for a period of three years.
- The decision was taken on the recommendations made by the ministry’s Rate Structure Committee,
- The decision will benefit medium and small newspapers including a large number of papers in regional and vernacular languages.
- The last revision of advertisement rates was done in 2013 when an increase of 19% was announced on the 2010 rates.
8. Exports of jute products rise to 24% since 2014: Smriti Irani
- According to Union Textiles Minister Smriti Irani, Exports of jute diversified products have risen by 24% (since 2014).
- The ministry is trying to connect the weavers with big companies for realising higher margins.
- The government is looking at ways and means to raise the income of the weavers and generate employment.
9. World Bank President Jim Yong Kim to step down on 1st Feb
- World Bank President Jim Yong Kim (58-years) will step down from his position on 1st February 2019, much before the end of his term in 2022.
- According to the World Bank statement, he will join a firm and focus on increasing infrastructure investments in developing countries.
- Kristalina Georgieva (World Bank CEO) will assume the role of interim President (from 1st of Feb 2019).
10. RBI forms committee to boost digital payments
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has constituted a five-member High-Level Committee on Deepening of Digital Payments to encourage digitisation of payments and enhance financial inclusion.
- The committee headed by UIDAI’s former Chairman Nandan Nilekani will include RBI’s former Deputy Governor Mr. H.R. Khan and Former Secretary, Ministry of Information Technology, Mrs. Aruna Sharma among others.
- The committee will review the existing status of digitisation of payments and suggest ways to bridge any gaps in the ecosystem.
- The committee will also undertake cross country analysis to identify best practices that can be adapted to accelerate digitisation of the economy and financial inclusion through greater use of digital payments.
- The Committee will have to submit its report within a period of 90 days from the date of its first meeting.
11. Union Textiles Ministry launches Yarn Bank Scheme
- The Union Ministry of Textiles has launched a Yarn Bank Scheme as one of the components of PowerTex India scheme with an aim to avoid fluctuation in yarn price.
- Under the scheme, an interest-free corpus fund up to Rs.2.00 crore would be provided to the Special Purpose Vehicle (SPV)/Consortium formed by power loom waivers.
- PowerTex India is a comprehensive scheme for power loom sector development.
12. Journalist Dinu Randive conferred with a lifetime achievement award
- Veteran journalist Dinu Randive has been conferred with the lifetime achievement award by the Mantralaya and Vidhimandal Vartahar Sangh.
- It is an association of journalists covering Maharashtra legislature and secretariat.
- Mr Randive has participated in the freedom struggle, the Sanyukta Maharashtra movement and the Goa liberation movement.
13. Asha Parekh & Farooque Shaikh honoured by Bimal Roy Memorial and Film Society
- Veterans Asha Parekh and Farooque Shaikh have been honoured by the Bimal Roy Memorial and Film Society to commemorate the 52nd death anniversary of the renowned filmmaker Bimal Roy at Savarkar Hall, Shivaji Park.
- Its aim is to reward unsung heroes of the film industry.
- Awards have also presented to directors Ananth Mahadevan and Amit Rai along with their actors Paresh Rawal and Jackie Shroff for making socially relevant films.