Science & Defence
1. ISRO launches GSAT31 from French Guiana
- Today, India’s communication satellite GSAT-31 has been launched successfully from Kourou Launch Base, French Guiana (at Indian time- 2:31 am).
- The Ariane-5 (VA 247) rocket placed it in the intended Geosynchronous Transfer Orbit in 42-minutes.
- It was immediately taken control by Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) scientists from its Hassan facility in Karnataka.
2. 6th February: International Day of Zero Tolerance for Female Genital Mutilation
- International Day of Zero Tolerance for Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) is a United Nations-sponsored annual awareness day that takes place on 6th February as part of the UN’s efforts to eradicate female genital mutilation.
- Female genital mutilation (FGM) comprises all procedures that involve altering or injuring the female genitalia for non-medical reasons.
3. Odisha MP Ladu Kishore Swain passes away
- Odisha MP Ladu Kishore Swain (71-years) passed away at Apollo Hospital in Bhubaneswar, due to kidney ailments.
- He was the Member of Parliament of Biju Janata Dal (BJD) from Odisha’s Aska Lok Sabha constituency from 2004 to 2009.
4. UAE to build church, mosque named after Saint Francis and Grand Imam
- UAE leaders have announced to the construction of the ‘Church of Saint Francis’ and ‘Mosque of Grand Imam Ahmad AI- Tayyeb’ in Abu Dhabi in honour of the two religious’ leaders.
4. UP Govt. forms SIT on Sikh riots of Kanpur in 1984
- Uttar Pradesh government has constituted a four-member Special Investigation Team (SIT) to probe the circumstances that led to riots in Kanpur in 1984, following the assassination of then prime minister Indira Gandhi.
5. 35,000 farmers received payments of Rs 300 crore through e-NAM platform
- According to Agriculture Minister Radha Mohan Singh, around 35 thousand farmers in the country received payments of three hundred crore rupees through e-payment facility of e-NAM platform till the 30th of last month.
7. Indus River dolphin declared as state aquatic animal of Punjab
- Punjab Chief Minister Amarinder Singh has declared the endangered Indus River dolphin as the state aquatic animal.
- Dolphin mostly found in the lower parts of the Indus River in Pakistan between Chashma and Kotri barrages in the Indus River.
- As per the WWF report, the number of dolphins presently is 1816.
- Punjab has Black Buck as its state animal and Baaj as the official state bird.
8. President Kovind to confer Sangeet Natak Akademi Awards
- Today, President Ram Nath Kovind has given the prestigious Sangeet Natak Akademi Awards 2017 at Rashtrapati Bhawan.
- Forty-two artists from the fields of Music, Dance and Theatre has been awarded.
9. Shehri Samridhi Utsav launched across the Country
- Shehri Samriddhi Utsav has begun with a series of rallies led by women’s’ Self-Help Group (SHGs), across the length and breadth of the country.
10. National Conference of Principals of KV’s, NVS begins in New Delhi
- Today, the Joint Secretary in the Ministry of Human Resources Development (HRD) R C Meena has inaugurated the National Conference of Principals of Kendriya Vidyalaya and Navodaya Vidyalaya Samiti in New Delhi.
11. Kerala becomes 1st state to set up price monitoring and research unit
- Kerala has become the first Indian State to set up a Price Monitoring and Research Unit (PMRU) to track violation of prices of essential drugs and medical devices under the Drugs Price Control Order (DPCO).
12. Dinesh Bhatia appointed as the Ambassador of India to the Republic of Argentina
- The Union government has appointed Dinesh Bhatia as the next Ambassador of India to Argentina.
- Currently, He is the Consulate General of India at Toronto.