1. Rishi Kumar Shukla takes charge as CBI Director
- Senior IPS officer 58-year- old Rishi Kumar Shukla (1983 batch- Madhya Pradesh Cadre) has been appointed as the CBI (Central Bureau of Investigation) Director for a period of two years.
- Rishi Kumar Shukla has served as the DGP of Madhya Pradesh.
2. Nilambar Acharya appointed Country’s ambassador to India
- Former Nepal’s law minister Nilambar Acharya has been appointed as the Country’s Ambassador to India.
- Mr. Acharya was Law Minister in the interim government (in 1990).
3. World Cancer day being observed today
- The world cancer day is being observed on 4th February every year to raise awareness about cancer, its treatment and to encourage methods of its prevention.
- The primary goal of the day is to reduce the illness and related deaths by 2020.
- This year, Union for International Cancer Control (UICC) is launching a new three years (2019-2021) campaign with the theme: “I Am and I Will.”
4. 4th Feb: Sri Lanka celebrates 71st Independence Day
- Sri Lanka celebrated the 71st Independence Day in a grand ceremony at the Galle Face Green in Colombo.
- Maldives President Ibrahim Mohamed Solih attended the function as the guest of honour.
5. National Road Safety Week launched today
- The Union Ministry of Road Transport and Highways has launched the National Road Safety Week with a host of initiatives planned for generating awareness and sensitizing people about safe road usage.
- The Union Ministers Nitin Gadkari flag off a motor car rally to commemorate the 150th Birth Anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi at Gandhi Smriti and Darshan Samiti, Rajghat, New Delhi.
6. Former IIMC Director Hiten Bhaya passes away
- Former Planning Commission member Mr. Hiten Bhaya (98-years) passed away in Delhi.
- Bhaya was a member of the Planning Commission in the Rajiv Gandhi government.
- He had also served as director of the Indian Institute of Mass Communication (IIMC) and chairman of Hindustan Steel.
7. Head of state of Monaco Prince Albert II arrives in New Delhi
- The head of state of Monaco, Prince Albert II has arrived in New Delhi on a week-long visit to India.
8. President Opens Rashtrapati Bhavan’s annual ‘Udyanotsav’
- Today, President ‘Ram Nath Kovind’ has opened the annual Udyanotsav of Rashtrapati Bhavan.
- About 10,000 programmed Tulip bulbs in 8 varieties of different colour were imported from the Netherlands and have been planted in the Mughal Gardens.
9. India’s tourism sector registers 19% growth in 2018
- According to Union Minister K J Alphons, the country’s tourism sector fetched 234 billion US Dollar revenue last year, registering a growth of over 19%.
- The country is ranked third in the tourism sector, according to the 2018 report of the World Travel and Tourism Council (WTTC).
- This revenue was contributed by 87 per cent domestic and 13 per cent foreign tourists.
10. Vani Kapoor becomes first Indian to Grab Australian LPGA Card
- Vani Kapoor has become the first Indian golfer to receive Australian Women’s PGA Tour (LPGA) card.
- Vani played 71, 78 and 69 cards in the first qualifying tournament played at Balatar Golf Club.
11. South Korean Footballer Ki Sung-yueng announces retirement
- South Korean midfielder Ki Sung-yueng (30-years) has announced his retirement from the South Korean national team.
- Ki played for South Korea in three World Cups (2010, 2014,2018) and three Asian Cups (2011, 2015, 2019).