1. LT Gen Rajeev Chopra takes over as Director-General of NCC
- Lieutenant General Rajeev Chopra took over the reins of National Cadet Corps (NCC) as its Director General.
- Lt Gen Chopra (Commissioned in the Madras Regiment) is an alumnus of the National Defence Academy, Khadakwasla and Indian Military Academy, Dehradun.
- He has commanded a Brigade in Eastern Command and was Inspector General of HQ IGAR (South) in the insurgency-torn state of Manipur.
- He has been awarded Ati Vishisht Seva Medal for his distinguished service in January 2018.
2. Suman Kumari becomes Pakistan’s first Hindu woman judge
- Justice Suman Kumari has become the first Hindu woman in Pakistan to be appointed as a civil judge.
- Suman, who hails from Qambar-Shahdadkot.
3. Sultan Abdullah sworn in as new Malaysian King
- Sultan Abdullah Ibni Sultan Ahmad Shah was sworn as the 16th King of Malaysia.
- He was elected after Sultan Muhammad V abdicated the throne earlier this month.
4. Vice Admiral G Ashok Kumar assumes charge as Vice Chief of Naval Staff
- Vice Admiral G Ashok Kumar assumed charge as Vice Chief of the Naval Staff.
- He served as the Navigating Officer of Indian Naval Ships Beas, Nilgiri, Ranvir and Vikrant.
- An alumnus of Sainik School, Amaravathi Nagar and National Defence Academy, Khadakvasla, Pune, he was commissioned into the Executive Branch of the Indian Navy on 01 Jul 1982.
5. 8th Annual Pulicat Day being observed today
- Today, 8th annual pulicat day being observed to create awareness among people about the importance of protecting the lagoon.
- The day is celebrated as the world wetlands day, with activities like catamaran race, rangoli competition, quiz and drawing competition for children, heritage walk and folklore programs.
- This year’s World Wetlands Day under the theme of “Wetlands and Climate Change”.
6. Govt. renames DIPP as Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade
- In an official order, The Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP) has been renamed as the Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade with a mandate to deal with matters related to start-ups, facilitating ease of doing business among others.
7. DAC approves indigenous construction of 6 submarines worth Rs 40000 cr
- The Defence Acquisitions Council (DAC) chaired by Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman approved indigenous construction of six submarines worth 40 thousand crore rupees.
- It is the second project under the Ministry’s ambitious strategic partnership model aiming to boost the government’s Make in India’ program.
8. Punjab Govt. approves ‘Smart Village Campaign’ worth of Rs 385 Crores
- The Punjab government has approved a rural development scheme ‘Smart Village Campaign’ to supplement the ongoing works to build village infrastructure and provide essential amenities.
- The scheme would be financed with funds (Rs 384.40 crore) from the 14th Financial Commission and MGNREGA works.
9. PM Narendra Modi launches two Railway projects in West Bengal
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi dedicated to the nation, the Railway electrification of 294 kilometres long Andal- Sainthia-Pakur-Malda and Khana- Sainthia Sections in West Bengal.
Honours & Awards
10. India bags the Award of Excellence for ‘Best in Show’ at New York
- India received the award of excellence for ‘Best in Show’ during the Closing Bell Ceremony at New York Times Travel Show 2019(NYTTS 2019).
11. Qatar wins Asian Football Champions 2019
- Qatar national football team beat Japan 3-1 to win the AFC Asian Cup 2019 crown in Abu Dhabi.
- Ali Almoez, Abdel Aziz Hatim and Akram Afif scored to give Qatar national football team a 3-1 victory against Japan.
- Takumi Minamino scored for Japan.