Banking & Finance
1. Union budget 2019-20 presented by Finance Minister Piyush Goyal
- Today, The Interim Union Budget 2019-20 presented by the Union Finance Minister Piyush Vedprakash Goyal in Lok Sabha.
- An interim budget is a temporary financial document that helps a business or public agency get through a period that’s shorter than a typical budget cycle, which is normally one year.
Arts and Culture
2. 33rd Surajkund International Crafts Mela begins today
- Today, The cultural extravaganza Surajkund International Crafts Mela (33rd) has been inaugurated at Faridabad (Haryana).
- This year Maharashtra is the theme state and Thailand is the Partner Nation.
- At least 20 countries and all the states of India will be participating in the Mela.
- Artistes will showcase the art, culture, heritage, handicrafts, and cuisine of the state.
- Mela will remain open for public from 10:00 AM to 07:00 PM till 17th February.
3. Dilip Sadarangani appointed as the Chairman of Federal Bank
- Kerala based private sector lender Federal Bank has appointed Dilip Sadarangani as the part-time chairman.
- He has played key roles in setting up of IT infrastructure in different banks in India, Australia and Kuwait.
- Reserve Bank has cleared the appointment of Sadarangani (in bank’s board since 2013).
4. Gupteshwar Pandey appointed as new Bihar DGP
- Senior IPS officer (1987-batch) Gupteshwar Pandey has taken charge as the new Director General of Police (DGP) of Bihar.
- He succeeds current DGP K S Dwivedi (retired).
- Earlier, Mr Pandey served as an SSP and SP in 26 districts of Bihar.
5. Minister Rajvardhan Singh inaugurates Jharkhand International Film Festival
- The Union Information and Broadcasting Minister Rajvardhan Singh has inaugurated the second Jharkhand International Film Festival in Ranchi (1st-3rd Feb 2019).
- The objective of promoting the Festival is to encourage states that have showcased the potential of promoting cinema.
- It will also promote Jharkhand as a filming destination, while simultaneously giving a fillip to tourism in the region.
Science & Defense
6. Scientists develop an artificial pancreas smartphone app for diabetics
- Scientists have developed an artificial pancreas smartphone (iAPS) app that will help in regulating blood sugar levels in diabetes patients.
- This app is capable of interfacing wirelessly with glucose monitors, insulin pump devices, and decision-making algorithms.
7. Dubai Airport retains the top position as World’s busiest airport
- Dubai International Airport (DXB) retained its position as the world’s busiest airport for international customer numbers for the fifth consecutive year with annual traffic for 2018 with Indian travellers emerging as the largest source of traffic for the airport which registered a record footfall of over 89 million.
8. Air India resumes its services from New Delhi to Najaf in Iraq
- Air India is resuming its services from New Delhi to the holy city of Najaf in Iraq after 25 years.
- Indian Ambassador to Iraq Dr Pradeep Rajpurohit said, the services will commence from the 14th of next month, and it is initially being planned for twice a week.
9. The International Year of the Periodic Table
- The United Nations has announced, 2019 as the International Year of the Periodic Table of the Chemical Elements to highlight its first publication in 1869.
- It will help to raise the profile of how chemistry can provide solutions to global challenges in agriculture, education, energy and health.
10. Mithali raj becomes the first woman to play 200 ODI matches
- India’s women’s cricket team Captain Mithali Raj (36-year) has become the first woman to play 200 matches in the ODI (One-day Internationals) format when she played against New Zealand in Hamilton.
- She already holds the record for being the most capped woman in one-day internationals.
- Mithali’s international career is fourth-highest behind only Sachin Tendulkar, Sanath Jayasuriya, and Javed Miandad.
- She earned her 192nd cap to beat Charlotte Edward’s, former England captain when she led India against the English in the first match of their ICC Women’s Championship ODI series in April 2018.