1. PM Narendra Modi inaugurates PETROTECH-2019 today
- Today, Prime Minister Narendra Modi has formally inaugurated the three-day International Oil and Gas Conference ‘PETROTECH-2019’ (13th) at India Expo Mart in Greater Noida, Uttar Pradesh.
- The ‘PETROTECH-2019’ is being organised under the aegis of the Ministry of Petroleum & Natural Gas, Government of India.
2. 1st of 15 Chinook heavy-lift helicopters arrived in India
- According to Boeing (the maker of Chinooks), the first of the fifteen Chinook heavy-lift helicopter ordered by the Indian Air Force (IAF) received at the Mundra Port in Gujarat.
- Now Chinooks (carry around 10 tonnes of load) will be transported to its home base at Chandigarh.
3. PM Narendra Modi lays the foundation for Sela Tunnel
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi laid the foundation stone for the strategically important Sela Tunnel Project (costing – Rs 687 crore) in Arunachal Pradesh.
4. K J Alphons lays foundation stone for Sree Narayana Guru spiritual pilgrimage circuit
- Union Tourism Minister KJ Alphons has laid the foundation stone for the Sree Narayana Guru spiritual pilgrimage circuit at the spiritual abode of the renowned social reformer in Varkala, Kerala.
5. Egypt’s President El-Sissi elected as chairman of the African Union
- Egypt’s President Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi (65-years) has been elected as the chairman of the African Union at the continental body’s summit in Ethiopia.
6. Multinational Maritime Exercise ‘Aman 19’ commenced in Karachi
- The five-day Multinational Maritime Exercise “AMAN-19” commenced in Karachi with the slogan “Together for Peace”.
- The flag of 46 countries including Pakistan presented a march-past.
Banking & Finance
7. RBI slaps fine of Rs 1 crore on State Bank of India
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has slapped Rs 1 crore penalty on the country’s largest lender State Bank of India (SBI) for not monitoring the end use of funds in respect of one of its borrowers.
- RBI in the exercise of powers conferred under Section 47 A of the Banking Regulation Act, 1949 has levied a penalty.
- SBI does not share details of the borrower and the loan amount given to the borrower.
8. Festival of Basant Panchami is being celebrated across the nation
- Basant Panchami festival (Saraswati Puja) is being celebrated every year on the fifth day of the month of ‘Magha’ and marks the beginning of the spring season.
- On this day, Hindus wearing yellow clothes visit temples and pray to Goddess Saraswati (the goddess of knowledge).
9. 10th February: World Pulses Day
- The first-ever World Pulses Day was celebrated on 10th February 2019.
- The day designated United Nations global event to celebrate pulses worldwide and continue the important gains made with the 2016 International Year of Pulses.
10. International Day of Women and Girls in Science being observed today
- International Day of Women and Girls in Science is being observed to highlight the work of female scientists throughout its divisions and agencies.
- The Theme of 2019 is “Investment in Women and Girls in Science for Inclusive Green Growth“.
11. Spin legend Shane Warne named brand ambassador of Rajasthan Royals
- Australia spin legend Shane Warne has been named the brand ambassador of Rajasthan Royals (RR) for the Indian Premier League (IPL)-2019.
12. Railways lift Senior Men’s National hockey title
- Railway Sports Promotion Board lifted the 9th Senior National Men’s Hockey Championship crown at Gwalior, Madhya Pradesh.
13. India’s young paddlers clinch four medals
- India’s young paddlers clinching four medals (1-gold, 2- silver and 1- bronze) at the Bahrain Junior and Cadet Open Table Tennis tournament in Manama, Bahrain.
14. Corentin Moutet clinches Chennai Open ATP Challenger title
- Corentin Moutet (France) beat Andrew Harris (Australia) 6-3, 6-3 in the singles final to win the Chennai Open ATP Challenger tennis tournament in Chennai.
- It was the second Challenger title for Moutet, who received 80 ATP points, while Andrew got 48 ATP points.