Honours & Awards
1. President of India presents Gallantry Awards
- The President Shri Ram Nath Kovind conferred three Kirti Chakras and fifteen Shaurya Chakras to Armed Forces at the Defence Investiture Ceremony held at Rashtrapati Bhavan.
- Two Kirti Chakras (Ysepoyvrahma Pal Singh & Rajendra Kumar Nain) and one Shaurya Chakra (Dhanawadera vindrababan) were given posthumously.
2. WEF recognised Naresh Lokesh as Young Global Leader for 2019
- According to the World Economic Forum (WEF), Andhra Pradesh IT minister ‘Nara Lokesh’ has been recognised as the Young Global Leader,
- The list has 127 of the world’s most promising social activists, business leaders, public servants, artists and technologists under the age of 40.
3. President of India inaugurates festival of Innovation and Entrepreneurship in Gandhinagar
- The President of India, Shri Ram Nath Kovind inaugurated the Festival of Innovation and Entrepreneurship (FINE) in Gandhinagar.
- The aim of this festival of innovation and entrepreneurship is to provide a platform for new innovators for building linkages with potential stakeholders.
- FINE is an initiative to recognise, respect, showcase, reward innovations and foster supportive ecosystem for innovators.
4. Areca nut gets ‘Sirsi supari’ geographical indication tag
- Arecanut (supari or betel nut) is the latest entrant in the list of agricultural produce with a GI (geographical indication) tag.
- The Registrar of Geographical Indications (Government of India) accorded a GI tag, ‘Sirsi Supari’, to areca nut grown in Sirsi, Siddpaur of Uttara Kannada district in Karnataka.
5. MoHUA partners with Microsoft for Swachh Bharat e-Learning Portal
- Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA) has partnered with Microsoft India to use the platform Project Sangam of Microsoft on its Swachh Bharat e-Learning Portal.
- Now MoHUA has trained more than 110,000 municipal functionaries on best sanitation practices across 4,000 plus cities in India.
6. U.S. Special Forces hold an exercise with NSG in Hyderabad
- The United States Special Forces Group stationed in Japan involved in a joint exercise with India’s National Security Guard (NSG) in Hyderabad.
- The US forces are from the 1st Battalion, 1st Special Forces Group stationed out of Okinawa in Japan.
7. Google shuts down instant messaging app ‘Allo’
- Google Allo instant messaging mobile app finally shutting down.
- The ‘Allo app’ uses phone numbers as identifiers, and allows users to exchange messages, files, voice notes and images.
8. WHO launches new global influenza strategy
- The World Health Organization (WHO) has released a Global Influenza Strategy for 2019-2030 to protect all people from the threat of influenza.
- The objective of the strategy is to prevent seasonal influenza, control the spread of influenza from animals to humans, and prepare for the next influenza pandemic.’
Banking and Finance
9. RBI categorises IDBI Bank as private sector lender
- As per RBI notification, IDBI Bank has been categorized as ‘a private sector lender’ following the acquisition of majority stake by Life Insurance Corporation (LIC).
- Earlier (In January 2019), LIC completed the process of picking up a controlling 51% stake in the nearly crippled IDBI Bank.
- IDBI Bank has been categorized as a ‘private sector bank’ with effect from 21st January 2019.
10. Dipa Karmakar qualifies for vault finals in Artistic Gymnastics World Cup
- India’s Dipa Karmakar (25-year) has made it to the Vault Finals after finishing third in the qualifying round of the Artistic Gymnastics World Cup at Baku in Azerbaijan.
- The, who had finished fourth in the event at the 2016 Rio Olympics, performed a higher difficulty Hand front 540 vault for the first time in the competition.